- 500 grams prawns ( shrimp) peeled, de-veined
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1.5 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups shrimp or fish stock
- 1 TBSP of chicken base powder (or 1 chicken bouillon cube)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon 12 Mix One Spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 TBSP ketchup
- ¼ cup dry white wine such as sauvignon blanc or champagne
- 1 can (12 fl. oz) creamy evaporated milk and 1 cup milk
Peel shrimp and remove heads. Put the heads and shells into a pot of 3 1/2 cups of salted water. Bring to boil, and cook for 10 minutes. Strain into a bowel to obtain 3 cups of stock or buy fish stock as an alternative.
In a saucepan, cook shrimp, onion and celery in 2 tablespoons butter on medium heat until shrimp turn pink. Remove from saucepan.
In the same saucepan, make rue by stirring flour into your remaining melted butter, slowly add shrimp stock. Then add bouillon, bay leaf, 12 Mix, cayenne pepper and ketchup. Bring to a simmering boil, and then reduce heat to low and cook for another *10 minutes. Take out bay leaf. Add shrimp mixture, evaporated milk and wine, cook another 2 minutes careful not to boil. Add milk, cook 1-2 minutes. Optional: Serve with a drizzle of sherry.
*Note: At this point you can put aside to finish for later, (keeps in fridge for 2 days).